Monday, October 13, 2008

That's how it is.

I've said it more than just a few times in the last couple of months, and it worries me that I take it for granted that "that's just how it is".

The more I say it, the more I believe it. You can try and convince me otherwise, but I think you'll have a hard time. Things have become what they've become and change has gained its own momentum, so much so that our actions have little or no impact on what happens in this world. Our individualism has divided us. We all have different thoughts, perceptions and, more impactfully, different ideals and morals. What's good for the goose, the gander doesn't think much of. We're sheep if you look at how gullible we've become, following shepherds around all day just because they're on TV. But we're sheep with ideas of our own. It's a little contradictory, I know, but it's true.

Our individualism has impacted our world and led us to believe that we all know what's good for each of us. Still, we'll believe most of what we're told about other people, and have more than enough advice to hand out to other people. How's that for a contradiction? Why this individualism scares me is because we're still not governed by a society that values individualism. Our society believes in our belonging to a collective mindset. We've made little to no effort to change how our society is run, but made every effort to proclaim from the rooftops that we are individuals.

So we are individuals. Standing individually, and consumed by our individuality. I am one. I accept that.

So who makes decisions? People sitting behind important desks in important offices who seem to know very little about who we are, but a lot about who they want us to be. They reside within bureaucracy and rarely take the time to come out and look at the real world.

If they're the ones with the pens that sign the papers that tell us how to live our lives, then what chance do we have of "being the change"? Everybody argues that you need to go become a politician if you hate all the politicians you're being forced to vote for. But what if you don't want to enter politics? What do you do then? Con someone else into becoming a politician? Meh.

Then what are we left with when we accept that we're never going to enter politics and refuse to vote for anyone/end up voting for the guy who's closest to getting us where we want to be? We're left with things being a particular way and us having nothing to do to change the way things are. So we say, "That's how it is."

Tell me there's something I'm missing.

Please.

(Post started: above; post completed: November 5th)

1 comment:

Miss Alister said...

Well, Void, I read “That’s how it is” on Monday and jotted down a few thoughts to this effect:

You nailed it, man. We’re faux individualists. We’re really just lemmings. And I often think we should just admit we’re lemmings and band together, but I’m not even sure that would have any effect. I feel, like you do, that it’s too far gone to reel back in. The whole “mechanism of me” seems out of control…

And it went on. If I had any hope at all, it sure didn’t feel like I had any. But I must have had an iota. Because after the momentous historical happening Tuesday, and with a few more days under our belts to give us time to believe it really did happen and that it’s OK to give our hearts to Hope again, I’d say, “Well what do you know? The majority’s not so stupid, and maybe people can be the change after all.”

So perhaps there was something we were missing. Maybe proof, like Obama, that “that’s how it is” isn’t necessarily how it has to be :-)
missalister