Friday, June 27, 2008

Do you know why I hate you?

I was thinking the other day. About hate. Strong word, with strong emotion. Causes strong actions, and stronger reactions. And I wondered why people hate, when it's such a useless expense of one's time. When used creatively, I completely advocate its use. But when used destructively, what's the point? And I think people have stopped looking at it as the former. Hate is used purely to ignite destructive fires in people's hearts, these days. It is used as a tool, effectively, by the Satan that exists somewhere in an unperceived dimension we've come to term as Hell, and by the Satan that lives within men's hearts. Within my own too, I am not special, I don't claim to be. This is not special, this idea; it has been conceived by others before me, and others before them. But why has it not been broadcast?

But getting back to the point of 'hate'... Do you know why I hate you? I don't hate your face. I don't hate the colour of your skin, I don't hate your personality or that you're such an asshole (women readers, read: a bitch), I don't even hate you because of your God.

I hate you because---and this is really simple, so bear with me---you're not like me.

That's all it is. That's all I hate, really. I think one way; you think another. I say peanut butter; you say jelly. I say ebony; you say ivory. I say Raikkonen; you say Hamilton. That's all it is. And it sounds so simple, but magnify this a little more, stepping into people's core beliefs and people's emotional spaces, and you'll see how this could all get very messy, very fast.

So when do we start being okay with the fact that we're all not the same? When we keep trying to spread a global culture and become the same? When we're taught that we all need to abide by the same rules, and live with the same dreams, hopes and ambitions? How do we start changing that thought first? Or do we try at all?

3 comments:

Insomniac said...

We cud try but I dont think we would succeed.. Certain differences, more importantly parameters of differences are ingrained in our psyche... Very difficult to get rid of them.. All that we cud hope for is that the manifestation of hatred becomes a lil more restrained

Gauri Gharpure said...

realising, respecting the differences and further being tolerant of the same takes ages for a normal human being. perhaps all the great men were great for they achieved the feat very soon, with much time on hand to do more than just tolerate..

Miss Alister said...

Another age-old conundrum that’s tiredness is commensurate with its oldness. Here’re my thoughts since you ask: it takes all kinds to make the world go ‘round and I think it’s important to focus on assimilating the mindset of acceptance of all those kinds regardless of the fact that humans seem to desire an us-and-them situation, so much so that they’ll create a rift with someone somewhere where there wasn’t previously a rift. And in fostering acceptance I feel, like apu, that the overall affect will be a buffering of a pervading intolerance :-)