Saturday, December 15, 2007

The Great Negotiator


I saw An Inconvenient Truth the other day. The movie inspired by Al Gore's personal battle against global warming--i.e. his slide show. Sounds absolutely daft, not to mention politically motivated, but I was moved. In fact, I was so moved, I wiki'ed the movie. Just to see what the net has to say about things. And that, right there, was my first mistake.

I thought I was confused before I saw the movie. Then the movie sort of put things in place, in perspective. And I thought, 'Yes, global warming is definitely real. It's something we all need to work towards getting rid of.' So wiki'ing it just meant that I find out more about how I can reduce my personal carbon emissions, and maybe get some friends to follow suit.

But how could things be that simple? They never are.

On the web, I came across criticisms against the whole 'Global Warming' situation, which stated quite clearly that it was a scam. Global Warming is a scam, they said. Well, fuck me, I said. Now, even though Al Gore mentions that there have always been critics, I figured I should read for myself and make up my own mind. That, right there, was my second mistake.

The critics cited instances where certain consequences of Global Warming were exaggerated. Certain scientists, it seems, do not agree with Mr. Gore about some of his reported consequences. No, no, they say, it won't be that serious. Besides, most of what's happening is natural. Not all of it is man-made. Fair enough.

Then PETA drops from some tree onto the bandwagon, and says: Hey, it's the livestock industry in the US that's causing more damage than the automobile industry. So why don't you become a vegan Mr. Gore?

To which I say: Huh?

So who's fucking around with the rest of us? I have always gone with my instincts, and my instincts have told me that the oil-thirsty Bush will always go with the use of oil, and Gore is on the other side. Ergo, I should be on Gore's side, right? But what if Gore is sitting on the board of some 'eco-friendly' company, who're just waiting to push their eco-friendly products onto us for exorbitant prices?

I think I'm just being excessively paranoid. But that's nothing new for a conspiracy theorist who once believed that all the rickshaw drivers were screwing him over just because the one rickshaw that agreed, after nine refused, to take him home happened to have a meter that thought the game was 'How fast can you go?'.

Still, it's funny how many have realised the effects of doubt on the human brain. And they're using it well.

So I light up another cigarette and go find a trash can to dump my empty pack in.

Some convenience in exchange for some inconvenience.

1 comment:

Smiling Dolphin said...

Hi Eeyore, thanks for visiting. A friend from LA sent me the Al Gore DVD as a new year present in 2007, I promptly made 200 copies and sent it around to all my 'influential' friends in the media - 12 months later, the movie and its war cry have become almost a fad, what with the Bali conference, the US avoiding the Kyoto Protocol etc. The truth is India is carbon neutral, we haven't created the problem, but as unjustly as ever, we will face some of the more horrendous consequences as the Himalayas come crashing down on us.
Don't stop reading up - at least you are doing that much, questioning is the first sign of caring. And here's wishing you a stream of new lionesses in your life in 2008! cheers, Lynn (christopher Robin?)